Ochsner Timeline: 1940s

1940 | 1950 | 1960 | 1970 | 1980 | 1990 | 2000  
 

pre-1940s

Dr. Alton Ochsner's famous research linking tobacco with lung cancer was originally published in the article "Primary Pulmonary Malignancy," in Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Volume 68, pages 435-451, February 15, 1939.

1941

March 27, 1941

At a medical meeting in Ogden, Utah, Dr. Alton Ochsner received the telegram from his partners that established the name of the clinic.


1941

May 2, 1941

Local medical school professors Drs. Alton Ochsner, Edgar Burns, Guy A. Caldwell, Francis E. LeJeune, and Curtis Tyrone each contributed $4,300 of their own money to open the first private group practice clinic in New Orleans, similar to the models of the Cleveland Clinic and Mayo Clinic.


1941

The Coins

The physicians, surgeons, and dentists of New Orleans expressed opposition to the new Ochsner clinic. Physicians preferred their independent practices and felt a clinic setting was unfair competition.

On Holy Thursday night, each founder received a small leather bag with 30 silver dimes and a note that read:

To help pay for your clinic.
From the Physicians, Surgeons, and Dentists of
New Orleans

The inference was from the Bible, referring to the Ochsner founders as Judases who betrayed their colleagues in the New Orleans medical community.


1942

January 2, 1942

The first Ochsner Clinic opened at the corner of Aline and Prytania Streets in uptown New Orleans.


1942

First publication of Selected Writings from Ochsner Clinic.

1944

In keeping with the five founders' mission to emphasize physician education at Ochsner, Dr. Dean Echols accepted the challenge of the first class of graduates in 1944.

1945

Nell Taylor, longtime dedicated research assistant, worked for hours in Basic Science Research on the top floor of the first Ochsner Clinic building on Prytania Street.

1945

The Old Briede Home fronting on St. Charles Avenue, near Audubon Park, was purchased to house patients while they underwent diagnostic studies at the Ochsner Clinic. Recognizing the need for patients and families to have comfortable accommodations while undergoing treatment at Ochsner, the founders planned for a hotel to be built close to the future new hospital.

1946

As a teaching hospital, Ochsner provided noon conferences for staff physicians and fellows in training to review cases.

 


1946

November 5, 1946

The first Ochsner Hospital was housed at Camp Plauché, affectionately known as "Splinter Village." Nestled close to the Huey P. Long Bridge, the base hospital included 53 frame buildings and only two private rooms.

Ochsner's founders realized that patient families needed a comfortable waiting space: Ochsner Foundation Hospital was one of the first hospitals in the Gulf South to offer a family lounge, complete with complimentary coffee and gracious hostess. Provisions were also made for families to stay near the hospital in the Jefferson House, a modest hostelry next to Splinter Village.


1947

A typical Splinter Village ward.

1946

Camp Plauché was nicknamed Splinter Village by the nurses because during the hot, humid summers in New Orleans, the nurses would take off their shoes. As a result, they would often find foot splinters from the wood floors.

The Archives makes every attempt to attribute photographs and other materials to their original creators, and to adhere to copyright law. We welcome questions, feedback, or comments about the content of this site;
click here to contact the Library & Archives.